Fraud & Financial Crime
Advance Fee Fraud
Our fraud and financial crime services include dealing with advance fee fraud cases. Advance fee fraud is a type of crime which involves contacting a potential victim and promising them some type of personal or financial gain – that will not materialise – in exchange of one or more upfront payments.
This type of fraud is sometimes known as ‘419’ fraud because section 419 of the Nigerian Penal code prohibits this type of advance fee fraud. The reason behind this is the most known variation of this type of fraud, which mentions a Nigerian prince seeking help to get a large sum of money out of the country.
Other variations of this type of fraud include
- Lottery scam – the victim receives a message saying they have been selected as the winner of a large cash prize amount and are asked to pay an administration fee to cover the costs of the claiming process
- Work from home scam – when the victim is asked to provide an advance payment before starting a supposedly profitable business opportunity
- Inheritance fraud – the victim is asked to cover some legal costs before receiving a huge inheritance from a distant rich relative who has died
- Romance fraud – the victim is contacted remotely by someone who pretends to want to be in a relationship with them in order to gain their confidence and ask for money
There can be many ways in which this type of fraud is carried out. Historically bogus messages are sent out to prospective victims by post or fax, or the victims are contacted by phone. But now victims are contacted also via email, social media websites and instant messaging applications using fake accounts.
How Can Ashmans Solicitors Help You?
Being questioned about, arrested and interviewed under caution for advance fee fraud will be upsetting for you but it is vitally important that you get representation from a criminal fraud solicitor as soon as possible.
Take immediate action and call us on or on our 24-Hour Emergency Help line: 03330 096 275. Because we have solicitors available 24 hours a day to help you, you can be sure that when you need us we will be there for you.
We have helped many people who are facing the same types of fraud charges as you and we have built a strong reputation in this complex area of law. We will use all of our experience to help make this process as painless and simple as possible, because we do understand that you will be under a great deal of pressure.
Why Choose Ashmans Solicitors?
We have helped many people facing serious fraud allegations, including advance fee fraud and we are being recommended to many people who are facing these types of charges.
Due to our proactive approach to defending cases of complex fraud we are skilled in putting together an experienced team of professionals to ensure that we prepare your defence properly. Using highly skilled Criminal Defence Fraud Solicitors, experienced case workers and expert barristers we will aim to achieve the best possible outcome for you, whilst keeping your confidentiality.
We will not wait for the Prosecution to build their case, we will go out and build our own defence.
To ensure you that you have the best criminal defence fraud team possible, call Ashmans Solicitors now to see how we can help you.
Why Choose Us?
Whether your legal problem is relating to fraud, criminal law, motoring offences or personal injury, we can help and there are a number of reasons why you should choose us.
- We have specialist Fraud Defence solicitors available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week so no matter when you need us, we can be there to give you the expert advice you need.
- Once you have instructed us we will select an experienced barrister, who is based nearby, and arrange a conference with them so you can be clear about your prospects
- Ashmans Solicitors has built a reputation as a leading criminal fraud defence practice, which means that we can put all of our experience behind you and make sure that we get you the best possible outcome, whatever fraud charges you are facing
- Because we have nationwide coverage, it doesn’t matter where you are in England or Wales, we can help you
- By being meticulous and not leaving any stone unturned when preparing your case, we are more likely to have found anything which may mitigate your charges and help your case
- If you are facing Proceeds Of Crime Act (POCA) proceedings following a conviction for fraud we will be able to help you to reduce the impact on you and your family using our skilled team to prepare for the hearing.