Divorce and Separation
The decision to end a relationship can be traumatic, chaotic, and filled with contradictory emotions. Whether you have decided to petition for divorce or are in the process of considering it, our dedicated team will advise and assist you through each and every stage of the process.
Remember you cannot re-marry without first obtaining a divorce and this is simply the legal process necessary to terminate your marriage or in another words to end the legal relationship that you entered through marriage. The person who instigates the divorce proceedings is called the petitioner and the person who receives the petition is called the Respondent. To be in a position to file for divorce you must have been married for atleast 12 months and satisfy the courts that your marriage has broken down irretrievably. One of the following 5 facts will need to be relied upon in order to show this.
- That the other respondent committed adultery (The petitioner cannot rely on their own adultery)
- That the respondent has behaved unreasonably
- That the respondent has deserted the petitioner for at least 2 years
- That the parties (husband and wife) have lived separate for at least 2 years and agree in writing to the divorce.
- That the parties (husband and wife) have lived apart for 5 years.
Ashmans Solicitors will ensure this important process is handled with care and attention with the highest level of client care throughout. We offer practical, efficient and affordable advice. We are aware that clients are concerned incurring large legal bills, therefore at Ashmans Solicitors we pride ourselves to be transparent with legal costs and no hidden fees.